Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why do dogs pull their own toenails out?

My dog is forever pulling on his toenails until they come out. Why do they do this? Is this normal??Why do dogs pull their own toenails out?
I don't think this is right, I haven't really heard or seen any dog pull their toe nails. Try clipping then and see what he does?





Clip the one he tries to pull!!Why do dogs pull their own toenails out?
I had a dog that used to bite on her toenails all the time, and pull at them. Her teeth would rake against it and it drove me crazy. My vet seemed to think it was just a phase she went through because of boredom. We lived in a small apartment at the time. When we moved into our house and she had a yard to play in, she stopped.





I would recommend the same thing that parents use for children who bite their nails, that nail polish that makes it taste bad. We used it for our dog and it kept her chewing on them for a couple of days. We were not very diligent at it, but I think if you use it consistently, it would break the habit.
Hm.. i have a dog and she never does thatt. in fact, she hates it when its time to cut her nails... i advise you to ask your vet because it doesn't seem to be normal, although i do know sometimes pets does do strange things like licking their privates continously just because they are bored. but anywho, the best thing is to ask your vet because each dog is different.
My dogs vet said that when a dog messes with it's feet to much that could be a sign of depression. Keep a good eye on the dog and give it a lot of attention. If this continues take it to the vet.
I'm pretty sure he's not trying to pull the nails out. He's trying to trim them. He doesn't like long nails. Help him out by trimming them or taking him to a grooming shop.





TX Mom
Never heard that one before. You need to consult your vet before this behavior results in infection or lameness.





Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment