Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Running: my toenails suffer. What do I need to look for in a shoe to prevent my toes from suffering?

I overpronate when running, but I do not want to lose any more toe nails.Running: my toenails suffer. What do I need to look for in a shoe to prevent my toes from suffering?
I'll float several ideas, as I usually lose one or two toenails a season.





1. The fit of your shoes is critical. If you haven't already, go to a running shoe store and have them measure you, watch you run, go through everything again. There are shoes that will help with pronation, but your toenail problem may not have much to do with that. Orthotics and/or stability control shoes could help.





2. If you are training for a marathon, you should be in shoes that are larger than you might buy normally. Your feet will swell, and shoe stores should steer you to a half size larger shoe.





3. Some shoes have larger toe boxes, like say New Balance. This might help if your're cramped.





4. If you are sliding, or moving too much such that pressure is being placed on the nails, you can alleviate some of this in adjusting your lace patterns. Your shoes should be snug, not tight, and definitely not loose.





5. Consider your socks. Heavier socks like Thorlo can compromise your sizing efforts, and bring the pressure back.





6. Acceptance. Despite my best efforts, in high mileage seasons I lose one particular toenail, no matter what.





Consider it a badge of honor. When someone asks what happened, ';I run so much that I lost a toenail'; is a good answer. You're a road warrior now.Running: my toenails suffer. What do I need to look for in a shoe to prevent my toes from suffering?
make sure toe nails r short and check 4 space in trainers b4 u buy, failing that, wear flip flops lol x
I had the same problem until I started wearing running shoes a size bigger than I would normally
right shoes and talk to a pro
I would Seek the advise of a Podiatrist. even regarding shoes. I supernate and I tried correcting things on my own and got shoes that were supposed to help the supernation and I ended up screwing up my knees. I don't run anymore because of it and had to have knee surgery. you may also need someone to monitor your running gate and give you some tips in changing or improving your step. I didn't have a lot of information to go on but I wish you luck.
I cannot tell if you are purchasing your shoes too small or if you have a lot of motion in your feet due to the overpronation/supernation that you have during the natural movement of the feet.





I worked in the retail sport shoe industry for many years in both management and sales, so have some suggestions for you.





Many people's shoe size actually changes with age, due to the natural aging process, changes in weight and the fact that you do not even want to think about the pressure being put on your feet with everyday walking, which can double or triple with the running motion.





Go to a reputable shoe store that actually has employees that will measure your feet, both length and width as well as the height of your arch and have someone work with you to find you the correct shoe.





Look down on the Brannock (measuring device) while you are standing on it, and if your longest toe touches the size 10, you will generally need either a 10 or 105 to give yourself enough room in the toe box.





If you overpronate/supernate you most likely have a high arch and need a shoe with excellent arch support and a wide as well as deep forefoot.





I have the same motion in my feet and the shoes that fit me the best for stability and motion control are Saucony, New Balance and Adidas.





Nike and Reebok will not work for me, they are too narrow and the toe box is not wide or deep enough for my foot and the motion of natural movement.





Each one half size in footwear is only 1/3 of an inch, so you are much better off with a shoe that gives you a good thumbs width of room in front of your toes. Do not fall for the old, ';they will break in,'; which is the way that a lot of footwear is sold. (Incorrectly, according to my background and training)





I did not work for a company that put me on commission, so I never had to sell anything under pressure to make a paycheck.





If you are losing toenails, your toes are either striking forward into the front of your current shoes or your toes strike upward and hit the top of the toe box.





Make sure that you are wearing a good quality running sock, such as Thorlo; which will cushion your foot, help support your arch, and wick the sweat away from your feet to keep your feet properly placed in the shoe and on the arch where it should be.





If you run over 500 to 600 miles in a pair of shoes, they do need to be replaced, as the support will start to break down, and that will contribute to your feet moving too much inside the shoes, which can lead to blisters and toenail damage.





If you continue to have a problem with your toenails, you may want to make an appointment with a podiatrist, as you may have something else contributing to the problem in addition to the footwear.





Good luck and happy running.
This is common with shoes that don't fit well. Either the toe cap presses on the toenails, or the shoe is a little oversized and your foot slips forward as you run, pressing the toenails against the toe cap.





Although bargains can be had at big sporting goods stores, the mall, outlet centers, etc., I think the wise thing to do would be to buy a pair of shoes at a dedicated running store. Most cities over a couple hundred thousand in the metro area have one. Take your present shoes with you, wear the kind of socks you wear while running, and explain to the shoe fitter exactly what problem you're having.





If you're really a serious runner, this might be worth traveling to do, if there isn't a local store.





BTW, you might consider ankle taping or braces to minimize your over-pronation, teaching your ankles good form.
I agree with what these folks are saying- go to a running store and get fitted for the right shoes. If you overpronate, they can help you find the correct shoe.





Regarding the toenail- I lost a toenail, but it was because my shoes were too small. Actually, they fit me perfectly- but in distance running you want them to be a little too big- I know, sounds weird, but it's true. I got a bigger pair (it takes a couple of runs to get used to them) and I've never had a problem since.
  • almay
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment