Sunday, August 1, 2010

I stomped my big toe and now my toenail is turning black. What can I do to treat this?

If this just happened, as in within a few hours, you can put a hole in the toenail to relieve the pressure and release the blood pooling under the nail. You can put a hole in the nail yourself with a heated paper clip. Heat the clip until the end glows and apply it to the center of the nail. You will have to repeat this several times until it melts through the nail. When this happens you will see the blood push up out of the hole. It will not hurt to do this, by the way- the nail has no feeling. As soon as the blood drains the pain will be much relieved. Then simply cover the nail with a bandaid and leave it alone. Depending on how much of the nail has been lifted off the nail bed below, you may or may not lose the nail completely in the next few weeks or months. A new nail will grow in behind the old one and push it out anyway. Meantime you will have a small hole in it, which won't hurt anything. If you can't put a hole in the nail, you can always go to the emergency room. They have the tools to do it properly, and will do much the same thing. It's your call, which you prefer. Afterwards, the toe will hurt and thump less if you elevate the foot and apply some ice for the first 24 hours. Shoes won't be comfy for about a week, no matter what you do. Sorry, toe injuries just hurt.I stomped my big toe and now my toenail is turning black. What can I do to treat this?
';The MOM'; answered you best. I hit my finger once with a hammer. The pain was like a ';12'; on a 1 to 10 scale. Thought I was losing my mind.





My dear old Mother took a single edged razor. Gently shaving off small pieces of the fingernail in one single place. Once she broke through the fingernail the ';pooling blood'; came out and I'm talking intant relief.





It's that pressure build up which hurt so bad. But the second the blood came out the pain disappeared. Eventually the fingernail came off and a new one grew back.I stomped my big toe and now my toenail is turning black. What can I do to treat this?
You need to let the toe nail fall off by itself. Keep the end trimmed so it does not snag on things. I have lost both of my big toe nails at different times. The old nail will eventually fall off as the new nail grows in. Keep the old nail on to protect the skin underneath the dead nail protected. Just watch it doesn't become an ingrown toe nail, they are painful and you will need to see a Podiatrist (foot dr.). This is my past experience and nursing skills. (Not to replace an doctor's advice).
Sticking the Nail with a Sterilized Pin,


and letting it bleed alittle would have


given relief to the blood pushing against


the Nail.





Check with your Dr next time you go.
Your toenail will fall off and be replaced by a new one in about six weeks. You may want to keep a bandage or surgical tape over the nail to keep it from snagging on your socks. (That hurts, too)
cy the best thing to do is to get to your local doc and get some antibyotics
nothing really your toenail will just fall off soon
That also happened to me but only in my right thumb.





I didn't do anything, and I just left it until it turned black. Eventually, it fell off. And, I grew another nail. I don't think there's nothing to worry about.
Nothing it will eventually come off and you will get a new nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment